Skip to main content

Rule of thirds - my stellar (and random) lucky choices and some total misses

Sometimes, I feel like I need to learn rules in fashion and how to apply them to my wardrobe. I've been reading about color, finding my best colors, body types and so on. I don't always follow them, but when I feel like I don't like my own made items it's time to dig deeper and get to know why. 

This time I happened upon the rule of thirds. I know it from photography and from architecture, but I somehow missed the connection with outfits. Of course it works! I went through the samples, read several blog posts (there are many out there if you just google rule of thirds in fashion).  

I'm still applying it to my wardrobe in the future, but I looked at my previous sewn and shown on IG outfits. I put thirds gridline on them and finally found out why my two most loved items this year didn't look great on my photo. I also found out why I really liked some of the items I wore and how I styled them. I know that most of these photos are not taken from a correct angle, but as some of these proportions are off, it wouldn't matter. Let's see the photos and dissect them!

Majorelle top and Liana jeans

First up my two recent favorites Itch to Stitch patterns Majorelle top and Liana jeans. These both fall into wonderful basic category and should work well, but somehow, I look a bit frumpy on the photo. I know I'm all in one color and it should make me look taller, but it’s not. The top has enough ease, it’s flowy and falls on my widest part of the body cutting me straight in half. I don’t have a defined waist and the third rule doesn’t work here.  

How to fix it? I should tuck in the top! At least partially, if I don’t want to tuck it in all the way around. Then my almost high-rise jeans part would look 2/3 and tops 1/3. It would also define my waistline and give a more pleasing look. 

Islares top and Liana jeans by Itch to Stitch

My most worn style – t-shirt over the jeans has the same problem every time. I’m wearing Islares top and Liana jeans (both by Itch to Stitch) and even though Islares is more fitted and shows that I do have a narrower waist, it still cuts me in half straight in the middle. It’s like the most common landscape photography fault when you put the horizon dead center of the photo. The solution to make it better? Wear shorts or tuck in the top. Again, even partial tuck in would make the outfit look better.   

Top pattern is from Ottobre design and leggings are Tino by Seamwork

The next outfit is much better. I wear a top made from Ottobre pattern (I don't remember the exact number of the magazine) and Tino leggings by Seamwork. The top is almost long enough so it covers 2/3 of my body and leggings have the 1/3 portion. I guess when I want an easy everyday outfit, I should make myself some awesome leggings and a top that reaches above my knees kind of mid thighs. 

Chemainus Top by Itch to Stitch and leggings from Ottobre magazine

My outfit with flowy Chemainus top by Itch to Stitch and leathery look leggings (pattern from Ottobre magazine) is even better. I like how the top is flowy and light, it contrasts well with fitted leggings that have shiny and leathery look. The thirds rule is working its magic and I kind of look awesome.

 

Melrose top and Liana jeans by Itch to Stitch

Melrose top and Liana jeans go perfectly together on me. Melrose is a (slightly) cropped top and I don’t need to tuck it in my jeans. It also is wide enough so it doesn’t make me self-conscious about my midriff. If I want to wear jeans and a top in the summer, this is a great way to style them together. 

Cartagena cami, Carlsbad cardigan and Icaria pants by Itch to Stitch

Cartagena cami, Carlsbad cardigan (from the book) and Icaria pants by Itch to Stitch outfit is an unexpected win. I don’t wear flowy pants and had a hard time styling them. I tried to wear them with Melrose top, but I looked frumpy and boxy. Then I pulled out my Cartagena cami and layered it with Carlsbad cardigan. I love Carlsbad cardigan and this one from flowy and lightweight knit is great for wearing in the summer. The pants have 2/3 and top has 1/3 of my outfit and it kind of works. Maybe the cami should be more fitted to look even better. I also like my rose ballerinas with this outfit, they kind of balance upper and lower part well

Anza top (hacked) by Itch to Stitch and Richmond Utility skirt by Style Arc

I had no idea why this outfit looked so good on me when I took the photos. I remember being so happy and excited to share my winning outfit. Now I understand that I had several good things going on here: I pass the rule of thirds (Richmond skirt by Style Arc has 2/3 and Anza top by Itch to Stitch has 1/3 of my outfit), my top and shoes are the similar dark color and balance each other and my waist is defined with the fitted waist of the skirt. I love this skirt and I’ve worn it so many times. 

Sibiu top and Quebrada Skirt by Itch to Stitch

This combination with Sibiu top and Quebrada skirt kind of works too. As you can see, I’ve learnt something and at least tried to do a partial tuck with my top. I think I should make another Quebrada skirt with a better fabric, darker and with more body would work much better. Maybe something from wool and it would work as a winter skirt? This one on the photo is too thin and crisp and I don’t like to wear it at all. The pattern is great and when I tuck in my top I can easily follow the rule of thirds and look great. 

The Flow dress by The Sewing Revival

My latest win and the last one I’m going to dissect comes from this year. I got this fabulous viscose fabric from Minerva and wanted a maxi dress. I decided on the Flow dress by The Sewing Revival. I styled it without the belt, and it would be wonderful to wear it like this on hot summer days, but if I want to look awesome and well put together, I should put a belt on the narrowest part of my body. It breaks up the outfit and I’d nail the rule of thirds. A cropped cardigan would work great with it too, so I guess I should make one for the summer. 

I learnt a lot while putting the red grid lines on my outfit photos. I looked through my IG photos and the ones on my phone and laptop and had my ruler in my hand to measure different portions on me. I gained some useful information about styling and looking my best. I hope that you got some ideas from my lengthy post.  

Which other fashion rules should I look at? I’m currently taking polls and reading about Kibbe and Kitchener essences, but I haven’t all the knowledge yet. I saw a video about sandwich rule, and I guess it could be called an hourglass rule, but I haven’t read more about them. Which fashion rules do you follow? 

Comments