Skip to main content

Itch to Stitch Lagan Coat

 I made a sewing plan for this year about the things that are challenging to sew and the ones that I wanted to learn. One of them was sewing a lined coat. A real one. I was absolutely thrilled when Kennis from Itch to Stitch invited me to test Lagan coat. Itch to Stitch has brilliant instructions and I knew I could manage it with the rest of the testing team. I did :) 

You can read all about Lagan coat here, there are also many photos from the testing team. I got so much inspiration I planned to sew another in bright color, but then all the tropical heat came along and I couldn't make myself to sew wool. But I have my grey coat and I'm so excited to show you all the photos of this classic design. 


 

My Lagan is made from wool blend fabric that I bought from local fabric shop called Abakhan. It was 5-6€/m and I think it's perfect color for me though it does seem a bit boring (we had so many bright colors and beautiful fabrics in testing team, go and check out the photos!). This grey is great when I accidentally brush myself against my car which is always dusty and dirty. It doesn't show on the coat! I used printed polyester fabric for the lining and for the upper back and sleeves I used lining fabric which was quilted with thin batting layer. I was so thankful to myself when I wore my coat on the days we had -10C. 




 

I learned so much while sewing my Lagan coat! First I needed to make a proper muslin. Always attach both sleeves on your muslin, otherwise it will drag to one side and you don't get the right idea about how it fits. Then I learnt that the layered shoulder pads are the best. And I got to know about sleeve heads and how to attach them. These are all good things that doesn't show on the outside, but they give shape to your coat. 








I was so nerveous about button holes. I made a piece that was similar to the front edge (I interfaced it and all!), so I could practice. The practice piece was good, but for some reason it didn't work on the coat so well. I was almost brought to tears when I finally got all the 5 button holes done. I was so happy when I had my coat ready. It was so hard to keep a secret and not showing the photos to everyone! 


If you feel like taking the challenge and sew a coat, then Itch to Stitch Lagan is perfect pattern!



Comments