Skip to main content

Itch to Stitch Cartagena cami tops

I have made several Cartagena camis by Itch to Stitch Designs and I would love to share the post I wrote to Itch to Stitch Facebook group about my makes. I added all the photos too.

This one was the very first one.

Cartagena camis and my hack on the FOE (fold over elastic).

I absolutely love Cartagena Cami pattern. It's easy to sew, I can use smaller pieces of fabric that drive me wild and I can easily layer these under cardigans, jackets, tops and so on for spring, summer, autumn or winter 😍 So it's no wonder that I have 4 of them already and 2 cut out and plans for several more in each color. 
 
The first one had the FOE connecting points on the shoulder. After that I measured the length and did my calculations to move the connecting point to the CB.

 
I sewed the first one according instructions, but during sewing it I measured the FOE and marked down how much I used for different pieces. I attached the FOE on the shoulders and calculated the perfect length. The only thing bothering me with my first cami were the FOE connecting points on the shoulder.
So I made the scheme how to sew the FOE so that the connecting point would be on CB:
1. First I sewed the under arm FOE for both sides
2. Then I marked Center Back and Center Front and measured out one long piece of FOE (97.5 cm). I marked it according to my measurements:
* CB to shoulder starting point
* Shoulder starting point to front piece starting point
* CF point
* front end (shoulder starting point) to back piece starting point
 
These are the measurements for me according to my preferences.

 
You can see my scheme on the photo. I have sewed three camis like this for myself and used three different FOEs for that and I've learned that I should add some length for some of the FOEs but not to all. It depends how softly the FOE stretches.
These are just my measurements (according to my measurements and the FOE I work with), so if you want to make similar ones, please test yours before! I do not recommend taking these for granted, we all have different bodies and size 12 would not look exactly the same on everybody. 😊 
 

The back.

The connecting point is on the CB.

 

 
I think you can tell I love this pattern! I use my Cartagena tops for layering, for hot days, for sleeping. You just name it! I like that I can use smaller pieces of fabric that I have left over (like the last grey one - it has the last piece of patterned grey on the front and solid grey on the back) and make something useful. Also - these camis don't take long time to sew once you have achived a great fit.

Happy sewing!

Comments